Sunday, August 23, 2009

of Ice cream, beggars, and frozen hearts.

The sun glared brightly that morning. The air was warm and the thick rays of light shone hotly off the ancient Jerusalem stones of those narrow streets. I was sufficiently aware of the sun's effect on my body, my parched throat reminding me it was due time to head home!

I rounded the corner of Christian Quarter road, the heavy smell of spices, stone and fresh falafel lingering in the air. While skipping to the next song on my ipod a dark figure caught my eyes. She was covered head to toe in black, this Muslim woman who sat against the wall with a young boy in her lap. Her weathered face and dark, distant eyes were lifted up to me as she repeated probably for the hundredth time that morning some pitiful plea in Arabic for a few shekels or more. The small boy in her lap lay with one hand held out wearily waiting for coins, the other hand clinging to his mother's scarf as he squirmed tearfully, looking hot and tired and already weary of the day's work.

I tried to smile encouragingly and continue walking by, telling myself that beggars actually make a good bit of money and she probably could have a real job if she wanted too....

...but what if she couldn't? Or even if she could, that boy looked awfully tired and in need of some cheering, if not a shekel. After walking a few minutes I came across a little grocery market. Stepping inside, I gave the shopkeeper the few shekels I had in my pocket for two bars of ice cream and skipped excitedly out the door in the direction of the mother and child.

The woman recognized me as I approached, and I will never forget her eyes when I had knelt down to give them my gift. The boy's face just shone brilliantly with pleasure, but in her eyes was such a deep, deep look of gratitude; her mother's heart so full of love and simply thankful that somebody had cared.

I only wish I cared more. Whether there in Israel, here at home, or anywhere else God leads me- there are always people who need love- and I pray my heart would be soft enough to give it. Make my heart like yours, O God, that you may be glorified in me!



"Savior, let thy love be felt,
Let its power be felt by me,
Then my frozen heart shall melt,
Melt in love, O Lord to thee."
-Thomas Kelly

No comments:

Post a Comment